Sunday, November 6, 2011

Excess Commercialization


[Johnathan Clayborn]
Most of my posts thus far have been more of an investigatory nature. This one however is just a pure rant.  I was out and about a week before Halloween and some stores were already putting up Christmas items. It almost seems like the stores themselves are becoming schizophrenic. They had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas items out for sale all at the same time! 

I completely understand the fact that the end-goal of the store is to make money, but I think that they’re pushing it a little too far nowadays. In the few days since Halloween, the Halloween sections in the store have been completely removed and replaced with Christmas items. 

As if all of that wasn’t bad enough one of the radio stations here in town is already starting to play Christmas music. But they aren’t even playing the full song. Halfway through the song that you’re listening to there’s a burst of static, a 30 second clip of a Christmas song, another burst of static and then you’re back listening to the original song again. And they’re doing this on purpose. 

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas as much as the next person. It’s my favorite holiday, in fact. And I like to start my Christmas shopping in October, but that doesn’t mean that I want to be bombarded with Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving.  At the rate the stores are going they might as well display Christmas decorations all year round and completely rob the holiday of all meaning and sentiment that it has left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These blogs represent my thoughts, ideas and opinions. They may be different from yours. You may not agree with them. While I do enjoy a good, polite debate on a topic (where points are countered with other points based on logic, reason and fact), I do not enjoy an argument (where you tell me that I am wrong simply because you disagree and cannot offer any reasons to support your position). I am very respectful of others, and I expect everyone on here to be respectful in return, not only to me, but to each other as well. Disrespectful posts will be deleted automatically. Feel free to share your ideas, but keep it civil, please.